My suspicion is that using the email reply would require that the
correspondent be a GitHub user (possibly even a GitHub user subscribed
to the issue). This would not be the case for Jan with a bot having
filed the issue by proxy. In that case he probably would not even have
received any email notification of posts to an issue.