Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.ander...@gmail.com>:
> This must have been before I started reading this thread, but I know of the
> CCured project by George Necula et.al, which is a C-to-C translator:
>
> https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~weimerw/p/p477-necula.pdf

That actually looks pretty interesting.

I may try testing on NTPsec.  If it lives up to its billing, the case
for mass transpilation to Go gets a lot weaker.

It doesn't go to zero - I think the maintainability gains from C to Go
lifts are likely to be significant - but it would remove a lot of
the security/reliability urgency.