Very *very* regular languages like lisp barely made a distinction between
expressions and statements, so if was an expression.  I'm not sure how well
that would work in a c-like language like Go: the debate about that in
algol68 was about 8 years before I became interested in computers.

Anyone here remember how algol68 addressed that, or what the hollering was
about?

--dave