On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 5:38:49 PM UTC-5, robert engels wrote:

> The pseudo code for the correct code would look like:

Robert, thanks very much for the clear explanation and correct example. I'd
totally forgotten that Go is threaded underneath the hood and was thinking
only in terms of latencies and pre-emptive scheduling.  I'm amazed that the
code I've written since diving into Go (six months ago) works at all.  One
of my control system apps has been running on multiple hosts 24/7 for
several months with no crashes or problems that look like data races so I
guess I've been lulled into a false complacency. But you can bet I'll be
testing it with -race going forward!