One annoyance for gophers on Windows is the false positives from virus
scanners when running the Go toolchain. This is mentioned in the FAQ:

* This is a common occurrence, especially on Windows machines, and is
almost*
* always a false positive. Commercial virus scanning programs are often*
* confused by the structure of Go binaries, which they don't see as often
as*
* those compiled from other languages.*

On my Windows 10 machine running the Symmantec scanner the situation is not
the
structure of the binary but the "reputation".  I get separate messages
running the go command or go build (one for the compiler, assembler and
linker) like this:

Event: Security Risk Found
Security risk detected: WS.Reputation.1
File: c:\Users\xxxxxx\Desktop\go\bin\go.exe
Location: Deleted or access blocked
Computer: xxxxxx
User: xxxxx
Action taken: Leave Alone succeeded

Looking up WS.Reputation.1 means:
(https://www.symantec.com/security-center/writeup/2010-051308-1854-99)

* WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score*
* based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore*
* are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on*
* Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection
is*
* based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of*
* threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat*
* categories.*

* The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens
of*
* millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a*
* reputation score for an application, and in the process identify
malicious*
* software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and*
* behavior-based detection techniques.*

I reported these false positives for the go command, compiler, assembler
and linker at
https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/ and the good news is that the
go command (1.12 version) is now whitelisted. I'm waiting for the others
tools to be so blessed.  My guess is I'll have to report again when Go is
updated.

I'm wondering if others in the Go community can help by reporting as well,
raising Go's "reputation".