There are many counter-examples. What is the likelihood that someone who is
not familiar with the "?" operator will be familiar with the operators for
getting (*) and dereferencing (&) a pointer. And what is "<-"? Certainly
people not familiar with Go will initially be confused by operators related
to channels.

If you allow people to use pointers, will they use pointers to pointers to
pointers to pointers?

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 9:19 AM Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, at 14:08, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> > Are there really developers that find this unreadable?
> >
> > color := temperature > 80 ? “red” : “green”
>
> Yes.
>
> What is "?"? If I've never seen that before I have no easy way to search
> for that, and a random symbol me nothing about what it does. Go
> specifically tries to stick to keywords because even if you've never
> seen them before it's generally easier to figure out what they do (or to
> search for them if you're not sure).
>
> Not to mention that even if you do know what they do, that specific
> statement isn't the problem. If you allow people to do that, they'll end
> up trying to nest it 5 levels deep. Go tries not to give people the
> tools to shoot themselves in the foot for some tiny perceived advantage.
>
> —Sam

R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.