I have been spending my time today getting my knowledge of this subject
adequate enough to use channels for a UDP transport with FEC creating
sharded pieces of the packets, and I just found this and played with some
of the code on it and I just wanted to mention these things:

https://dave.cheney.net/2013/04/30/curious-channels

In the code, specifically first section of this article, I found that the
sync.WaitGroup stuff can be completely left out. The quit channel
immediately unblocks the select when it is closed and 100 of the goroutines
immediately stop. Obviously in a real situation you would put cleanup code
in the finish clauses of the goroutines, but yeah, point is the waitgroup
is literally redundant in this code:

package main

import (
"fmt"
"time"
)

func main() {
const n = 100
finish := make(chan bool)
for i := 0; i < n; i++ {
go func() {
select {
case <-time.After(1 * time.Hour):
case <-finish:
}
}()
}
t0 := time.Now()
close(finish) // closing finish makes it ready to receive
fmt.Printf("Waited %v for %d goroutines to stop\n", time.Since(t0), n)
}

The original version uses waitgroups but you can remove them as above and
it functions exactly the same. Presumably it has lower overhead from the
mutex not being made and propagating to each thread when it finishes a
cycle.

It really seems to me like for this specific case, the use of the property
of a closed channel to yield zero completely renders a waitgroup irrelevant.

What I'm curious about is, what reasons would I have for not wanting to use
this feature of closed channels as a stop signal versus using a waitgroup?