>> I'm not sure whether I agree with this characterization. There is, AFAIK,
> approximately no codified process in the Go project that would single out
> Google or Google Employees. To a degree, that's because there aren't that
> many codified processes and the ones there are, are kept a bit vague (in
> favor of a consensus-driven culture). But also, I'd argue, because the
> process isn't actually that closed.

Three things I've considered:

1) when a company runs a project without much publicly documented process
but does as they choose, isn't that a sign of a company run project?
2) The go team at Google has had processes that are not public. One example
is the proposal review process. There has long been a group at Google that
decides these. For a long time this wasn't documented publicly but
happened. The public documentation on it came after the decision on go
modules.
3) how has no one outside of Google qualified for the core team and why
aren't more companies who are heavy users in on owning it? I've heard
stories (not mine to share) of more outside engagement not happening for Go.

I'm not nocking on Google for doing what they do. It's a business decision.
I get it and I can understand a climate where it might change. I'm just
trying to be aware of what's happening.

I do sometimes wonder what the small decision making core team would look
like with people from multiple companies with differing concerns on it.
But, that's just wondering.

I use Go. Gonna start something new in go soon, too.

--
Matt Farina
mattfarina.com

Go in Practice <http://goinpracticebook.com/> - A book of Recipes for the