Yes, the built-in is pretty awful in many ways. There are fortunately lots
of alternatives, all with roughly an order of magnitude better performance.
I inspected this list yesterday to finally make a choice of packages to
use: https://github.com/smallnest/go-web-framework-benchmark

I ended up with the following as my weapons of choice:
- https://github.com/valyala/fasthttp (the core HTTP server)
- https://github.com/fasthttp/router (paths)
- https://github.com/phachon/fasthttpsession (sessions/non-REST stuff)

There are other packages near the performance of fasthttp, and sometimes
you just want "good enough" performance to gain some conveniences. Most, if
not all, are likely to be better choices for performance than the Go http
package. The ones above just looked most agreeable to me :)

For template engines, it depends on your needs. If you're preparing pages
to serve them statically the standard packages are fine (html/template, or
even text/template for certain uses). If you're constantly rebuilding pages
you'll want to look into faster template engines.