I think both of the proposals are fine, but they suffer from the “lack of
completeness”. In that, they improve things, but don’t go far enough so the
incremental benefit is not high enough. A key component of exceptions is the
concept of ‘throws’ which is both self documenting, and requires handling,
which enables flow analysis (manual and automated). These proposals don’t
supply this functionality. They also don’t cover automatic stack capture, which
is essential in diagnosing problems in large, complex systems.