> > Out of interest what OS?
> > Is the machine virtualised?

Yes, this on EC2, on m5.2xlarge (which are nitro instances with
vDSO-supporting clock). I am running Linux 4.9.0

> Also, are you running a kernel with VDSO enabled?  With VDSO,
> `time.Now` should not be making any system calls.  It's hard to
> understand why it would block.  Although the VDSO code does loop, and
> perhaps virtualization affects that in some way that I'm not aware of.

I believe vDSO is enabled. I ran this check:

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
kvm-clock
strace -e gettimeofday,clock_gettime -- date >/dev/null
+++ exited with 0 +++

and there are no syscalls observed by strace.

> Does your code call `time.Now` a lot?

Yes, about 100k times a second. I'll look into reducing that, but even if
that solves the problem, I would still be curious as to why it's happening.

I'll dig into this a bit more on Monday.