FWIW,  I think this issue tracks a similar request:

  #30515 cmd/go: offer a consistent "global install" command
  https://github.com/golang/go/issues/30515

It was tagged as a release-blocker for Go 1.13, but I think time ran out.

One outcome considered there was a new argument to 'go get' such as 'go get
-b', where '-b' might be for 'binary' or 'bare' and would just install a
binary without updating the current go.mod.  A less likely outcome might be
re-purposing 'go install' to do the same thing.

That issue could be a good place to comment if you have a specific idea,
etc.

Regards,
thepudds