I figured out the source of these reported difference in behaviors.

My win10 system does not have a go.mod file, but my LinuxMint system does.  When I deleted that (and unset GO111MODULE) I was able to compile on LinuxMint.

So the differences depend on whether there is already a go.mod file in my ~/go/src directory.

Thanks for all the help guys.

--rob