On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:25 AM Robert Engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I don't think we are talking about the same thing. You can certainly code an
> immutable object - just don't export any methods that mutate the object, nor
> export ANY fields.

Correct, we're talking about different things. The question is not
whether you can write an immutable object (yes you can), it is whether
there is a way to enforce the immutability of the receiver of a
method.

If the method is exported and if the receiver contains pointers, there
can be no guarantee that the method will not modify values reachable
from the copy of the receiver.