On 2020-01-20 18:57, Robert Engels wrote:
> This is solved pretty easily in Java using soft references and a hard memory
> cap.
>
> Similar techniques may work here.

One of the only things I dislike about GO compared to C is the arbitrary memory
allocation but it has great benefits in coding time and I expect you can handle
an array allocation panic etc. and keep track of your buffers.

I know that OpenBSD sets limits by default which need to be raised for
chrome/firefox to prevent OOM death etc. which isn't the case on Linux without
default limits (last I heard). I believe Linux kills the hogging process
instead!

I seem to remember OpenBSD devs saying the OS provides opportunity for Firefox
to manage it's own OOM condition with these limits in place. I took that to mean
that Linux defaults have made it difficult to handle this properly in general,
but I may lack understanding of the general issue?