On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM Curtis Paul <curtiswp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like NewTicker will dynamically adjust to keep tick time "accurate".
>
> Does anyone know if the time data that NewTicker returns (i.e. via it's
> channel, etc...) includes monotonic time?
> And if so is the definition of NewTicker referring to adjusting real time
> clock or monotonic clock?
>
> I'm not really sure what to expect with using ticker in terms of timing
> accuracy.
> Is NewTicker() monotonic?

Tickers use the monotonic clock.

> Also not quite sure what "Stop the ticker to release associated resources"
> refers to.
>
> time.NewTicker()
>
> "NewTicker returns a new Ticker containing a channel that will send the time
> with a period specified by the duration argument. It adjusts the intervals or
> drops ticks to make up for slow receivers. The duration d must be greater
> than zero; if not, NewTicker will panic. Stop the ticker to release
> associated resources."

In the current implementations of Go, Tickers are not garbage
collected.  They run until they are stopped.  So if you don't stop a
ticker, it will keep ticking until your program exits.

(It is possible that future implementations will garbage collect
Tickers, but it still won't hurt to stop a ticker that you no longer
need.)

Ian