On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 1:24:24 PM UTC-6, David Riley wrote:

> This is certainly pedantry, but it's worth noting that the VAX to Alpha
> translation in VMS wasn't dynamic recompilation, but static.  There are
> almost certainly similar examples; I'm not familiar enough with NT history
> to remember if there was a similar translator for the Alpha version, but
> given that Dave Cutler was at the helm of that transition (though not the
> VAX->Alpha transition at DEC), I wouldn't be surprised.

While we're off-topic anyway, I do recall hearing a nifty talk 20+ years
ago on semi-static translation from x86 to Alpha, both under Windows NT,
that DEC implemented.  They were worried about the dearth of Windows
NT/Alpha software relative to the volumes of Windows NT/x86 software so
translation made a lot of sense.  I recall the speaker making a point that
PowerPoint posed a challenge for them because their tool looked for known
compiler code-generation patterns that they could exploit for performance
(correctness?), but at the time, PowerPoint was hand-coded in assembly
language.  Imagine!

— Scott

P.S.  I just checked, and amazingly, the paper is still on the Web: DIGITAL
FX!32 Running 32-Bit x86 Applications on Alpha NT
<https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt97/chernoff.html>