Thank you for the feedback!

I took Jan Mercl's suggestion and wrote the short function to see if
it is useful.  It is based on C Banning's suggested code. I'm going to
start using it on my projects to see if it helps.

The module is called "hind":    https://github.com/TomOnTime/hind

hind.S(x) works on strings. The compiler should inline this. It should
be no different that "len(x)-1" (other than conveying intent better).

hind.G(x) uses reflect to work on anything you pass it.  It is slow
but it is a good placeholder until we have generics or whatever.  It
is useful for when showing intent is more important than performance.

Feedback on the module would be greatly appreciated!   If you use the
module, I'd love to know if you felt it reduced your off-by-one errors
(or the potential for them).

Best,
Tom

--