On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:10 AM roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> LGTM. This is a welcome change. I often need to look up how to spell
> "// +build" currently :)
>
> One thing I'd really like to see is the eventual deprecation of
> filename-based build constraints (e.g. file_linux.go).
> They make it hard for users (not everyone knows the name of all
> architectures), hard for tooling (tools
> need to maintain a list of current architectures) and potentially
> compatibility-breaking (adding
> a new architecture can change the meaning of existing files). Could we
> eventually mandate
> in-file build constraints instead?

I think *mandating* this could be considered a backwards incompatible
change (the only real counter-argument is that it's "just tooling"). AIUI,
Russ' design doesn't actually remove `// +build` for this reason, but only
deprecates it with automatic re-writing.
Of course, nothing would prevent us from doing the same - deprecating
purely filename-based constraints and have `gofmt` actively add build tags.
Note that the filenames wouldn't go away anyways; you still need separate
files, so you still need separate names. You wouldn't need *these specific*
names, but you'd probably end up with very similar ones.

If you'd indeed suggest removing file name based constraints altogether,
I'd argue that it should probably happen in this same process (not
"eventually" :) ) - it involves touching ~every Go package with constraints
anyway, so having to only do this once would probably be preferable.