To add a bit more information to this topic: I also have Vim + ale + gopls
setup and I tried the same file with Vim + gopls auto complete and it was
much faster in Vim.  Based on my rough timing, I got the correct auto
complete responses from gopls in Vim in about 1.5 seconds vs about 4-5
seconds in VSCode.  I am using VSCode 1.46.1 on Linux.  Could this in some
way be a VSCode issue instead of gopls?