Thank you, I was suspecting that it was something simple I was missing.

https://play.golang.org/p/FYEC7MwU1qQ

    > I need to Unmarshal 3 levels map. The information is stored this was as a
json doc and there is no way to flatten it.  This sample code works but since
UnmarshalJSON method of Level1 type is not pointer receiver, I do not get back
into the main newly built map. If I change Level1’s UnmarshalJSON to a pointer
receiver then line 63 generates a syntax error “invalid operation: cannot index
l1 (variable of type *Level1)”

    I can't say I understand what's really going on here, but if your
    problem is with UnmarshalJSON receiver, then:

    https://play.golang.org/p/Fl5XRO1ngXE

email to golang-nuts+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/214131C2-468E-4036-8F0D-B09037A57C55%40gmail.com.