I'm very new to Go - apologies in advance if I'm missing something:

I find it frustrating that there's no way to create a map that does *not*
automatically return a zero value for undefined key access by default.

I love the fact that Go doesn't return "nil" for this use case (I love
Ruby, but I don't think they got that quite right), but returning a default
value is worse!  It would make so much more sense if it would just panic
when accessing an undefined key.  I'm not a Python guy, but I think this is
something Python got right.

Creating a map that returns some default value when you access an undefined
key should be a special kind of map, or a special argument to initializing
the map (which Ruby does allow).  In Go, is there even any way to create a
map that panics when you access an undefined key?

-Joe

--
*Connect with us here:* LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/smarter-sorting/>, Facebook