On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 10:45:49 AM UTC-7 Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> The linker is definitely slow, though it got faster in 1.15 and will
> get faster again in the future 1.16 (I don't know which version you
> are running).

We're on go 1.13.1.

It's not so much the linker speed I'm concerned with, it's why is the
linker faster (in aggregate) when being called 32 times via `go test
./pkg/...` vs being called 32 times via `go test <one package>` 32 times.
I can understand linker times fluctuating a bit from run to run for
Reasons, but this aggregate result is very consistent.  It's surprising to
me, though may not be worth looking into if the linker has changed a lot
since 1.13.

In any case, turning off go vet was a useful speedup in itself; the
remaining time difference may be small enough to allow the project to
proceed.  I'd love more insight into the weird linker-time behavior if
anyone has it!, but we're not blocked on that anymore.  Thanks again for
your help.

craig