On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM shan...@gmail.com <shane....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This seems to me to be the better solution (but it's still in the
> pipeline?) https://github.com/golang/go/issues/19367
> an unsafe, rather than reflect, access to the slice structure, which
> allows a user to do.. interesting things to the object. Am I correct in
> thinking that this change (when implemented) removes the reflect
> implementations, and does away with the comments?

I agree that with unsafe.Slice there shouldn't be any more use cases that
necessitate use of reflect.SliceHeader. I don't think it should be removed
outright though. There is no need to break existing programs using it, even
if we consider it allowed from the compatibility guarantee. Likewise, the
comments should persist, so that readers of existing code can look up its
documentation.

We can definitely add a note that unsafe.Slice and &a[0]/len/cap should be
used instead, though. But, just to be clear, I also don't think anything
substantially changes in terms of compatibility guarantees - unsafe.Slice
will give just as little a guarantee as reflect.SliceHeader does today.