I am debugging an issue
<https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloudsql-proxy/issues/543> in which
we are seeing a crash on an atomic access; on go 1.14.7 and 1.15.2 this
reproduces with the following error:

> panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
> [signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0x8049f7c]

On gotip (go version devel +3fd4917 Fri Nov 20 20:02:47 2020 +0000
linux/amd64) I see the following instead:

> panic: unaligned 64-bit atomic operation

(I'm glad the error message got better! Kudos to whomever did that.)

My confusion is that I don't quite see this restriction being documented in
sync/atomic's
docs <https://tip.golang.org/pkg/sync/atomic/>: ctrl-f for "alignment" only
reveals information related to MIPS and ARM, whereas this issue is for
Intel 386. Is this working as intended (e.g. documentation bug) or is this
something deeper?

-Kevin