Hi all,

The release notes has this:

Module-aware mode is enabled by default, regardless of whether a go.mod file is
present in the current working directory or a parent directory. More precisely,
the GO111MODULE environment variable now defaults to on. To switch to the
previous behavior, set GO111MODULE to auto.

I didn’t quite understand what that meant but I think I understand it now that
we always have to initialise a module before we can build a package? So, before
I could just create a main.go and happily build my program. But now I have to
run `go mod init <module name>` before I can build it?

$ ~/go/bin/go1.16beta1 build
go: cannot find main module; see 'go help modules’

Thanks,
Amit