As Jan said "apples and oranges", in this case comparing *os.Stdout with C
File *stdout is not fair. The equivalent of *os.Stdout in C is the
filedescriptor 1 (STDOUT macro), and the equivalent of *os.Stdout.Write is
write(2) (the syscall), not fwrite or fputs. If you retry your
microbenchmark using the syscall write(2) with filedescriptor 1, you'll
probably see very similar (if not identical) results.

Personally I prefer the explicit buffering proposed by the Go standard
library, rather than the implicit one of the C stdio.h header. When I was
starting using C, I've already been bitten by the fact that my fwrites were
being implicitly buffered, until I discovered the setbuf(3) function and
read the documentation. Having different default buffering schemes
depending on the output used (yes stderr is not buffered by default), I
find more confusing.