On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 2:01 PM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I expressed my concerns at the issue tracker in 2017 when I still had
> a Github account. That's no more the case, so I'll take the
> opportunity to make a comment here. I still believe that the intent to
> change the behavior the way issue #20733 proposes is [plain] wrong. It
> can turn loops in existing code that do not allocate to loops that
> allocate. That can be avoided by certain compiler optimizations that
> may be already present in [some or all] known Go compilers. But such
> particular optimization is not part of the language specification so
> the runtime performance of some code may differ dramatically between
> [future] compilers.
>
> Go is not, and I hope should not become, a language defined by [any
> particular] implementation.

For the purposes of this project, I am planning to remain agnostic as to
the specific proposal which gets implemented to resolve the range loop
issue. That sort of discussion relies heavily on the design principles used
to write Go, and I am not yet informed enough about them to have an opinion.

That said...

AFAIK, the proposal I linked to provides a good overview of the problem,
and, despite a robust discussion, remains a viable implementation
candidate.

I think that it would be best to keep our discussion of the proposed change
part of the relevant GitHub tracker to ensure the conversation can happen
in context of prior discussions. For my part, after having read through the
proposal and the subsequent discussion, I wouldn't have anything to add
other than my opinion.

It is my hope that the GitHub Vet Project has been designed in a way that
the data collected can be useful and interesting regardless of whatever
change is eventually implemented. Unfortunately, the project only has a
chance of success if enough Gophers participate in the crowdsourcing
effort. I hope that the community won't be discouraged from participation
based on the perception that we don't yet have a viable fix for this
problem since, as far as I am aware, that is not the case.