On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM 'Axel Wagner' via golang-nuts
> <golang-nuts@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> > Go is an inclusive project and wants everyone to feel welcome -
> *obviously* that includes people who want generics in the language. Please
> read - and keep to - the Go community Code of Conduct:
> https://golang.org/conduct
>
> I have never read the CoC, but I don't expect it justifies implanting
> irrelevant social issues into a technical discussion like this to be
> used as an argument against a differing opinion. Please don't, thank
> you.

You might want to give it a read, then. It includes "Be friendly and
welcoming" as the first Gopher value. Saying "I think people who want
generics added to Go should go and program in Java or C++" and asking "Why
are you even here!?" is clearly the opposite of welcoming.

And, FTR, saying something is "a technical discussion" doesn't make it so.
This thread is almost exclusively about *social* issues - the arguments
brought forth are mostly talking about how decisions are made, baseless
claims that generics are added solely by majority decision or polls,
fear-mongering about slippery slopes, appeals to authority and trying to
create an us-vs-them and "threatening" to split the community. There is
very little technical content here.

I feel well justified in calling this out as destructive behavior.

Back to the topic. Yes, I agree that Go is going through a serious