Directories named testdata are included in the module; they're needed for
tests to run. The most important thing that's left out are subdirectories
that contain a go.mod file, since the content of such directories is a
different module.

Some good places to look for full details include
https://golang.org/ref/mod#zip-path-size-constraints and
https://pkg.go.dev/golang.org/x/mod/zip.