* Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> [210120 10:46]:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 3:57 PM Marvin Renich <m...@renich.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand what you are saying.  What is a "reserved import
> > path" and where is it defined?
>
> See https://github.com/golang/go/issues/32819

???

Thanks for pointing this out!

My first paragraph was written when I thought the OP was using GOPATH
mode, not modules (and that the error message he received was from that
mode), and so my suggestion would have been correct and more clear.  In
fact, if using go build in GOPATH mode, it does, indeed give that
information and even more, enumerating the elements of GOPATH that it
searched.

I still cannot find any mention of reserved import paths in any
documentation (go help modules/importpath/gopath).  It's just an issue
on the tracker.

Import paths without a dot in the first component (which is how I read
what this issue is trying to claim as "reserved") have been part and
parcel of the GOPATH way of building user packages since the beginning
of the go tool, and this still works perfectly.  Not everyone wants or
needs to put their go source code in a web-accessible location, or even
in a version control system, for that matter.  Changing this for GOPATH
mode would, in my mind, be a major breaking change.

I have never seen any mention of this issue on golang-nuts, though I
certainly could have missed it.  Perhaps some discussion took place on
golang-dev.  For a change this important, I would expect it to be
publicized much better.  If this is only going to affect module mode,
that is a different matter.

...Marvin