You either have to use the "replace" directive in go.mod, or:
Do not work on the fork. Do your work on a plain _clone_ of the
repo (which works without "replace"ing dependencies).
To create a Github PR: git push to your fork (add it as an additional
git remote) and create the PR. The "fork" is just a vehicle for a
Github PR and nothing you do work on (or try to build).

V.