Dnia 2021-02-02, o godz. 22:26:10
"hey...@gmail.com" <hey....@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> > So having a “meta/relaxed decoder” usually leads to
> specification/interoperability/security problems down the road

> I respectfully disagree. Since it's only relaxed with regard to decoding,
> it follows the robustness principle where you be liberal in what you accept.

I disagree with such disagreement in this (security) context.
"Robustness" stated as "accept lousy data" is against security principle "vet
your input thorough".

> Within a system, the encoding should be explicitly defined, but when that
> system has to consume base64 data from outside, being liberal actually
> avoids interoperability problems.

In security context "avoids interoperability problems" may morph to more
accurate "avoids preventing access to our systems by an adversary" - as
adversaries are known to eagerly and clandestinely interoperate with our
software using whatever means we left them to exploit. (Off the hat example:
consuming "liberal" JSON input may allow an attacker to disrupt data guarded by
a simple MAC scheme.)

TC,

--
Wojciech S. Czarnecki