Thanks for the message! Unfortunately,

GOBIN=$GOPATH/bin go install ./cmd/app/main.go

Doesn't change anything. Actually I'm realizing that even without go
modules but with $GOPATH this never installed anywhere:

GOBIN=$GOPATH/bin GO111MODULE=off go install ./cmd/testinstall/main.go

You have to do:

cd ./cmd/app && go install

Then it appears to work in all cases.

I'm assuming this is by design, but it feels to me like go install
./cmd/app/main.go silently failing is a bug.

Is this worth opening an issue for?