On 3/17/21 12:11 PM, Space A. wrote:
> I don't think Java failed on micros, for instance look at JavaCard, a lot of
> SIM-cards are running applets based on it. SIM cards can be a dying technology
> on itself, but still, I think there was a huge success. Not sure about other
> "small places" because I never touched them in my work.

I didn't know about JavaCard. Quite hard to gauge it's suitability to mmuless
systems, nevermind particular ones. I don't believe Pythons variant is suitable
but JavaCard might be. I don't want to write Java though anyway. I'm also not a
fan of Java's security record either.

> With regards to TinyGo, it's interesting. I also heard that they are sponsored
> by Google. Which is good. However Richard Musiol, the creator of GopherJS and
> person responsible for WebAssembly in Go compiler
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/131vjr4DH6JFnb-blm_uRdaC0_Nv3OUwjEY5qVCxCup4/edit#heading=h.mjo1bish3xni
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/131vjr4DH6JFnb-blm_uRdaC0_Nv3OUwjEY5qVCxCup4/edit#heading=h.mjo1bish3xni>
> in one of his comments on gihub clearly said that he is not paid or in any
> form
> financially supported. And he's doing his work in spare time. I just don't
> get it.
>
> There is gioui project which aim at implementing crossplatform GUI without
> relying on C libs, and they have already showcased very promising results. Any
> support from Google? Like some symbolic $100 bucks check per month? You knew
> the
> answer.
>
> I'm pretty sceptical about TinyGo. It implements a subset of language, and I
> tried it for my WASM project, but didn't find it suitable at all. If I only
> wanted a small part of Go, I'd choose C.

Looks like JavaCard implements a far smaller subset than tinyGO according to
their site. If you have 256k Ram and that is a generous option, then it is going
to be a subset. I thought it was surprising how much of the stdlib is said to be
working. C compatibility is also important that both tinyGo and Zig offer. I
want to get away from C as much as possible! I shouldn't have to do so much like
writing reasonably memory safe array handling functions to be confident in my
codes security. Because C can't be arsed to offer safer compile options.