On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM Matt Mueller <mattmue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed a lonely BUG comment without an explanation in the flag package:
> > https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/src/flag/flag.go#L955
>
> Looking at the code it seems to me that the comment is saying the
> _client_ code has a bug in that it defines the same flag more than
> once.

That could be, but BUG usually indicates something that should be
changed in the Go code.

In this case the original (and pretty much still current) code is

       m := flags.formal;
       flag, alreadythere = m[name]; // BUG

I bet that there was a bug in the compiler back in 2008 such that

       flag, alreadythere = flag.formal[name];

didn't work, and the BUG refers to introducing a local variable that
is only used once.

If someone wants to send a CL removing the comment and removing the
local variable m that would be fine.

Thanks.

Ian