I was fully expecting for floodgates of comments to open again but it seems
we have reached a point of maturity in the generics proposal.
The new proposal really makes the intent much clearer both on the exact vs
underlying type match front  and the syntax gives us a more familiar union
intent.
So in that light this proposal is a welcome change by itself.

If this would allow us then later to switch on the matched type (preferably
without type assertion, along the lines of the comment in
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/45346#issuecomment-812557199 )
than it would make this implementation of  generics much more useful.