On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:11 PM David Markey <ad...@dmarkey.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get hugo to work on my Alpine distro that's running on my Intel
> gallileo(Quark CPU).
>
> I've overcome a few hurdles already.
>
> This CPU Doesn't have MMX so gcc-go was needed to compile hugo into a binary
> (in a virtual machine)
>
> But after copying the hugo binary to the galileo Hugo doesn't work. I get the
> following error:
>
> fatal error: unexpected signal during runtime execution [signal SIGSEGV:
> segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x44 pc=0xb7658e62] goroutine 1
> [running]: runtime.dopanic_m :0 runtime.throw :0 runtime.sigpanic :0
> runtime.sigtrampgo :0 runtime.sigtramp :0 :0 goroutine 4 [select]:
> go.x2eopencensus.x2eio..z2fstats..z2fview.worker.start
> /root/go/pkg/mod/go.opencensus.io@v0.22.0/stats/view/worker.go:154 created by
> go.x2eopencensus.x2eio..z2fstats..z2fview.go.x2eopencensus.x2eio..z2fstats..z2fview..init0
>  /root/go/pkg/mod/go.opencensus.io@v0.22.0/stats/view/worker.go:32 +0x17a
>
> This could be:
>
> Galileo has 256MB of ram only, The executable is 127MB, perhaps there simply
> isn't enough memory?

This particular error looks like a nil dereference.  That would only
be caused by insufficient memory if the Go code calls C code that
calls malloc and doesn't check for a return value of NULL.

> Quark has a well known bug.
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738575%22 that means it
> mishandles LOCK instructions and causes a segfault.
>
> On a normal C toolchain, the assembler can strip the LOCK operation using
> "-Xassembler '-momit-lock-prefix=yes'" CFLAG (Galileo is single core so it's
> not needed)
>
> However I'm not sure what the equivalent would be on a go build toolchain,
> perhaps it's simply not possible?

Since you are using gccgo, the same option should work.  But you might
possibly have to recompile the Go library with that option.

Ian