RSS is the amount of memory mapped to physical memory. It doesn’t include
memory swapped. Still, if GC was releasing pages back to the OS - unmapping the
allocated and touched pages - the RSS should decrease.

There was a previous thread on if and when GC will release pages back to the
OS. This is hard to do if you do not have a compacting collector - Go does not
- so it is doubtful Go ever releases the pages once allocated to the heap.