I had a misunderstanding of what imports needed to be included, and a
fundamental misunderstanding of type vs field.

I added an import of:
github.com/jackc/pgconn

and changed the declaration to
var pgError *pgconn.PgError

and now I'm fine.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM Kurtis Rader <kra...@skepticism.us> wrote:

> For future readers who stumble upon this thread it would be nice if you
> explained the problem and solution in more detail.
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 8:21 PM Larry Rosenman <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm translating an OLD program from lib/pq to pgx, but when I copy the
>> "Error Handling" code, I get:
>> ./ambientProgram.go:164:16: db.PgError undefined (type *pgx.Conn has no
>> field or method PgError) ./ambientProgram.go:210:18: db.PgError undefined
>> (type *pgx.Conn has no field or method PgError)
>>
>> I get the connection by:
>> db, err := pgx.Connect(context.Background(), connStr)
>>
>> and pass it to:
>> func populatedb(macaddr string, db *pgx.Conn, endtime time.Time)
>>
>> How do I get to the error stuff?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> ref: https://github.com/jackc/pgx/issues/1102
>> https://github.com/jackc/pgx/wiki/Error-Handling

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/41d31af8-d053-40cb-8957-8112ce935ee3n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/41d31af8-d053-40cb-8957-8112ce935ee3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> Kurtis Rader
> Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank

Phone: +1 214-642-9640 (c)     E-Mail: larry...@gmail.com
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Dr, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106