On Sun, 2022-01-30 at 12:01 -0800, Kamil Ziemian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a question from ignorant in the meters of compilers and
> mediocre Go users at best, so it may be stupid.
>
> I really like that in Go unused variable or import is compiler time
> error. As such I wonder why function like
> > func funTest(x int) int {
> >         return 3
> > }
> is allowed? I would guess that it is possible to check if function
> argument is used in function body or not, so it seem plausible to
> forbid it.
>
> Again, it maybe a stupid question from ignorant person. I have a lot
> things to learn about Go, but I'm stuck in learning about Unicode and
> UFT-8, so I guess it will be a long time before I can go back to
> learning proper Go. I read FAQ and I didn't remember answer to this
> question from it. This is my excuse for asking this question.
>
> Best regards,
> Kamil Ziemian

It is necessary for methods to sometimes have parameters that are not
used in order for the type to satisfy an interface. Similarly, if
function values are being passed around the signatures will need to
match even if the parameters are not being used.

It is possible to use the blank identifier in these cases to signal
that a parameter is not being used and that can be linted for.

See https://github.com/golang/go/issues/39118 for discussion on a
proposal relating to this.