I don’t think it needs to be that complicated just load the client public certs
into the server. Validate upon usage that the cert is still valid. Easy to
authenticate clients this way. This is how ssh works with certificate based
authentication. Peer to peer is a little harder but usually you get the valid
certs from a trusted server.