You cannot use a "fork". The Github concept of a "fork" doesn't
work together with the concept of a Go module.
You are free to fork a repo and you can modify the source
after git cloning your "fork" you even can build the "fork" and
go install it's binaries by simply running go install inside
of the "fork". But your "fork" just remains a Github-fork,
it's not a software fork of the original module. For that you
have to rename it. Forks in Go cannot (for reasonable definition
of cannot) have the the same name as the original.

V.