I'm glad to see this issue getting some discussion. I have 100+ smallish
utility programs written in Go, and each one consumes about 1.5 MB (precise
average: 1,867,844 bytes); my bin directory contains 100+ copies of the Go
runtime. Sadly, I mainly use Windows, and there seems to be no way to use
linked libraries in Go for Windows.

My solution has been to rewrite many of my smallish Go programs in Python
(except those that really need Go's speed)  -- 10K each vs. 1.5M each disk
storage. For these  manually invoked utilities, the speed difference is
often not noticeable. And the number of source lines and overall program
complexity is reduced by roughly 30%. (Added benefit: the Python programs
are always properly indented, even without a "pyfmt" program :-)

I *am* a Go fan, and I understand that Go's mission is for writing big
server programs, but it's too bad that the size of a small Go program
executable is *many* times larger than a small C program.