I took some time to put this to a test. The Go program here
https://go.dev/play/p/378Zn_ZQNaz <https://go.dev/play/p/rNJNbek4ufm> uses a
VERY short holding of the lock - but a large % of runtime holding the lock.

(You can’t run it on the Playground because of the length of time). You can
comment/uncomment the lines 28-31 to test the different mutexes,

It simulates a common system scenario (most web services) - lots of readers of
the cache, but the cache is updated infrequently.

On my machine the RWMutex is > 50% faster - taking 22 seconds vs 47 seconds
using a simple Mutex.

It is easy to understand why - you get no parallelization of the readers when
using a simple Mutex.