Dear all,

I'm trying to profile memory use of a program, following the instructions
at https://go.dev/blog/pprof , but I can't get memory profiling to work.
Am I doing things wrong, or is this broken?

Simplified code is at https://go.dev/play/p/Wq_OU49LVQZ .  (The code
doesn't run on the playground, but you can download it and run it locally.)

Following the advice from https://pkg.go.dev/runtime/pprof I added the
following code to the end of my main() function:

f, err := os.Create("mem.prof")
if err != nil {
log.Fatal("could not create memory profile: ", err)
}
runtime.GC() // get up-to-date statistics
if err := pprof.WriteHeapProfile(f); err != nil {
log.Fatal("could not write memory profile: ", err)
}
err = f.Close()
if err != nil {
log.Fatal(err)
}

When I run the code, this gives me a "mem.prof" file (5084 bytes).  But
when I start "go tool pprof" on this file, I get

>>> go tool pprof xxx mem.prof
File: xxx
Type: inuse_space
Time: Mar 1, 2023 at 1:15pm (GMT)
No samples were found with the default sample value type.
Try "sample_index" command to analyze different sample values.
Entering interactive mode (type "help" for commands, "o" for options)
(pprof) top10
Showing nodes accounting for 0, 0% of 0 total
      flat  flat%   sum%        cum   cum%

There seem to be no samples in this file.

What am I doing wrong?

All the best,
Jochen