I've seen this type of SSH/rsync access used many times (and have used
it myself to great effect), but it is worth considering if you feel
confident being able to sufficiently secure the ssh access in your
threat model. Your system, if compromised, could serve as an ingress and
pivot to other systems within your customer's perimeter. I would say
that is why you might get recommendations to avoid SSH altogether and
use something like grpc or MQTT, and to limit the scope of the lateral
access through the systems. I think it's worth worrying about that, and
using a vpn and issuing per-device certificates is worthwhile, but I am
also painfully aware of the ins and outs of managing those parts of the
system. If you're not particularly worried about that part of the threat
model, or you feel like you have all the bases covered, I think your
ssh/proxy strategy would work, probably even with the reverse proxy
utility you mentioned, although I'm not sure how well that specific
component supports the user access control you might need.

Eldon