Hi Adam,

Thanks for sending this, lots of interesting ideas here!

I've been meaning for a long time to have more concrete guidelines for how
much data collection is enough for good results, to include on
https://go.dev/doc/pgo.

I also think it would be valuable to provide tooling that can help minimize
file sizes. I played with this a bit last year, with results in
https://go.dev/cl/449500. In this CL I experimented with a few approaches:
truncating stacks (as you mention, though it seems this part didn't make it
into the code in my CL?), as well as aggregation: I drop PCs entirely since
the compiler can't use them anyway, and drop line numbers from leaf
functions since they don't matter to our current optimizations. Another
thing you'll see the source of that tool do is truncate the profile to 99%
CDF. i.e., drop all any samples in the coldest 1% of the application. This
is not a lossless operation because the compiler performs its own CDF
computations to determine which calls are hot and by removing some of the
total sample weight from the profile the compiler will probably decide a
few functions on the edge are no longer hot. To do this losslessly, I think
we'd need to keep the remaining weight in the profile as a single "unknown"
sample and have the compiler always sort that last.

Some other thoughts inline below:

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 3:15 PM 'Adam Azarchs' via golang-nuts <
golang-nuts@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
> that in a standard (non-shallow) clone that pulls down all history, over
> time it can contribute significantly to time to clone and size of the
> `.git` directory.  git lfs avoids the cumulative burden over time, but has
> its own set of problems.  At a few hundred kB each, they're not so
> concerning, but if you had for example an automated system that collected
> data from production and updated the profile data every few days (which you
> want to do if you're deploying new code that often), possibly for multiple
> executables, it starts to add up.  So far I've been recompressing the pprof
> data (which is automatically gzip-compressed) with zopfli, but I was
> thinking about making a tool to do better than that.
>
> Firstly, we can drop entries from the mappings table if they aren't
> referenced by any locations in samples.  For a linux cgo binary this will
> include stuff like libc.  We can then also drop corresponding entries from
> the string table.
>
> We can drop values for sample_types which are not of interest
> <https://cs.opensource.google/go/go/+/master:src/cmd/compile/internal/pgo/irgraph.go;l=162-163>.
> That is, the first sample_type that is "samples"/"count" or
> "cpu"/"nanoseconds".  Most profiles seem to have both, but we only need to
> keep one of them.
>
> Next, it seems like PGO ignores all but the last two stack frames
> <https://cs.opensource.google/go/go/+/master:src/cmd/compile/internal/pgo/internal/graph/graph.go;l=268-270>.
> This is of course an implementation detail subject to change, but the logic
> for why it does this is sound, and so it's probably still safe to truncate
> stack frames at least somewhat.  Doing so would likely permit many samples
> to be merged, which could significantly reduce the uncompressed size of the
> profile.
>
> A pprof profile is, for purposes of PGO, effectively table of execution
> stacks and how often they were sampled.  If you want to get really good
> profiling data, you do as the PGO guide tells you
> <https://go.dev/doc/pgo#notes> and collect multiple samples and merge
> them, which gets you more coverage, but also makes for larger, more varied
> sample counts, which decreases the effectiveness of compression.  For
> purposes of PGO, we only care about the relative frequency of different
> code paths at a pretty coarse granularity.  There's two opportunities here.
>
> Normalizing and quantizing the sample counts should be possible to do with
> no significant effect on the accuracy or usefulness to PGO, and would
> improve the effectiveness of compression.  That is, you could for example
> round each sample count to the nearest power of N, and then scale them all
> so that the smallest sample count is N (where N is e.g. 2).  The effect of
> this would likely be minor, since most of the space in the profile is taken
> up by other things like the location and function tables, but it wouldn't

This sounds feasible, but, as you say, I imagine the impact on the final
size would be very small.

> The other, much more complicated thing we can do is merge sampled
> locations.  PGO is using the profile data to improve its guesses about
> which branches are taken (including implicit branches by type for interface
> methods).  We generally don't actually care which specific statement within
> each branch is taking up the most time.  If there are no possible branches
> between two sampled locations, from PGO's perspective one might as well
> merge them (e.g. just drop the one with the lower sample count).  This is
> more complicated to do than quantization, of course, as it requires control
> flow analysis.

I think dropping PCs is going to account for the majority of this win. Of
course, there can still be multiple lines in a basic block, but there
should be far fewer. Beyond that, I'm not sure the complexity of control
flow analysis is worth it. I'd like to eventually support LBR profiles
directly (https://go.dev/issue/59616), which would inherently have the
property of one sample location per basic block.

> My questions for anyone who's read this far are
>
>    1. Would these ideas work, or am I making bad assumptions about what
>    PGO actually needs?
>    2. Are there pre-existing tools for doing this kind of thing that I
>    just haven't noticed?
>    3. Are there other significant opportunities for pruning the pprof
>    data in ways that wouldn't impact PGO?
>    4. Would this be valuable enough to try to roll it into an option for
>    `go tool pprof -proto`?
>
> Yes, I'd like to have a tool, as mentioned above. The PC-level aggregation
is actually very simple in the pprof package API, but they don't expose a
command line flag. I imagine adding one would be quite reasonable.