* Robert Engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com> [231114 21:55]:
>    Switching to pointer receivers everywhere actually makes this worse. Any
>    access is potentially a data race.
>    It stills seems like this is a compiler issue. There needs to be a way to
>    synchronize the pointer to value copy in conjunction with other
>    synchronization.
>    The only way to do this would be to write your own pointer to value
>    conversion methods that have synchronization.

I don't understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that if you take
the code from Dave Cheney's article, and change the receiver for the
version method from value to pointer:

  func (*RPC) version() int {

that there is still a race in his code?  Or are you saying that with
that change you could add code where the act of calling a method is
inherently a race?  If the latter, can you give an example?

...Marvin