You should note that you don't necessarily need to install the go compiler
on your target machine. You can build ARM binaries on an x86_64 machine for
example - set the parameters GOOS and GOARCH. Go is especially good for
this sort of cross-compilation, as it doesn't require any special
toolchains to be installed. It's out-of-the-box functionality.

But if you do want to run go on the target system itself, then I'd expect
just installing the binary distribution should work.  Try it and see!

As for crash safety: it's normally a matter of what type of filesystem is
being used.